Posted by Leggero
- Eat the rainbow. Let's start with a pretty easy one to follow. We are what we eat. There is no replacement for a healthy dose of fresh fruit and vegetables daily. Make them colourful. Citrus fruit, spinach, peppers, broccoli - you get the picture. You can also add garlic, ginger, turmeric and seeds such as sunflower seeds for added interest and flavour. Remember that when it comes to wellness consistency is everything. Eat well always.
- Maintain a healthy bodyweight. This means determining your body mass index. You can use a BMI calculator yourself or use the services of a health centre to do so. A BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered a healthy parameter. Anything under or over requires attention.
- Establish healthy habits. It may sound obvious but regularly washing hands (even when there is no pandemic), cleaning and cooking your food thoroughly are everyday steps that you can take to foster good hygiene habits. They will keep away infections and thus help your immune system to spring in to action for bigger things.
- Exercise regularly. This is a golden rule in overall wellbeing. Exercise improves every aspect of our health: cardiovascular, blood pressure, body weight and strengthens our body to protect it against diseases. Needless to say that it helps boost our immune system.
- Minimise stress. This is a gentle reminder that our mind and body are connected. Whilst it might be difficult to define stress, as it's not the same for one person as it is for another, try to minimise everyday worries. Show kindness, help those in need and alleviate stressful situation in close relationships. This may prove more beneficial than an expensive retreat in a far away place.
- Drink in moderation. Here come the biggies. Whilst many of us might enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer on a sunny afternoon excessive alcohol consumption can adversely affect a healthy immune system. Alcohol impairs the body's ability to fight disease along with other more obvious effects it can have. So tread lightly.
- Don't smoke. Even light smoking harms the human body. If you are a smoker then stopping the habit altogether will benefit you enormously at any stage. If you're a UK resident you can find help to do so here. You can also speak directly with your doctor.
- Sleep. To end on a high note rest and sleep is essential to our wellbeing. Humans require least eight hours of sleep each night to maintain a healthy life. If you're unable to do so then take naps so that your body and immune system can continue working at its optimal level.
We hope this gives you a little insight in to simple steps you can take towards a better and well-balanced lifestyle. You can always connect with the Leggero community for more tips and information.